The season of winter is a painful period for those suffering from respiratory health problems like allergic bronchitis, allergic rhinitis, bronchial asthma, etc. The tiring effort to breathe without any medication hinders all regular daily activities. To overcome this effort and reduce too much dependency on medicine here are some solutions to breathe easy this winter.
1. Turmeric has been used medicinally for thousands of years, it’s antiseptic, anti-inflammatory properties is known to reduce histamines, which is the root cause of inflammation. By reducing the effect of histamines it helps in bronchial asthma by widening the airways and ensure easier breathing. Drinking turmeric with a glass of milk or water before bed is advantageous.
2. Research suggests that omega-3s may also help to decrease airway inflammation, clear the air passages and improve lung function; Omega-3 fatty acids are often used as a natural remedy to help prevent and treat respiratory diseases and heart conditions. Many ancient medicine literatures across the world is supportive of this research therefore is flax seeds, fish, spinach, kidney beans are beneficial in people with asthma.
3. Staying hydrated is important in reducing congestion and wheezing, as being hydrated prevents hardening of mucus, because when this mucus gets accumulated in your airways it blocks the air passages and makes breathing difficult, therefore Drinking herbal tea or even some hot water helps warm up the airways and loosen the stubborn mucus to an certain extent helping in easier breathing.
4. The caffeine in black or green tea and coffee helps provide relieve in asthma, It works by opening up the airways. Caffeine is also known to have the ability of improving breathing function in people with asthma. So black tea and coffee can help when one suffers from breathing difficulty particularly at night, to aid in peaceful sleep. The coffee or tea should be warm for faster relief.
5. Mustard oil is also deemed to be the best emergency home remedies there is. The mustard oil that helps relieve symptoms of bronchial asthma is the fatty oil containing isothiocyanates made from pressing the mustard seeds. This is different from mustard essential oil, which is sold in small quantities that is NOT to be applied directly to your skin, Mustard oil helps open the air passageways instantly. You should massage a mixture of warm mustard oil and salt into your chest few times in a day until symptoms subside.
6. There is definitely a good reason Ginger is known to be a super food, given its multiple benefits on your health and body. It is also found to be very effective against asthma. Prepare a potion with equal quantities of ginger, honey and consume it 2-3 times a day, or ginger tea is equally useful.
7. Garlic, because of its anti-inflammatory properties has been used as a natural remedy to manage many conditions like heart diseases and respiratory problems. Boil 8-10 cloves of garlic in water and drinking it twice a day is beneficial in reducing breathing difficulty and congestion.
8. Avoiding curd and refrigerated food articles is highly beneficial in preventing acute attacks of bronchial asthma, steam inhalation with a pinch of Turmeric or eucalyptus oil helps clear the congestion and makes breathing easier.